Wednesday, April 30, 2008

least comfortable ride evah...

On my way back from the hospital today (I observed 5 prenatal exams and lots of talk about ultrasound!) I caught a collectivo as usual at the crucero of Tlacolula and since it was hot and a long day (I haven't figured out a good schedule including lunch breaks), I hopped for the first collectivo that pulled up with the driver's finger out the window (signaling that he had room for one). Unfortunately as I was the last one into the collectivo, I ended up sharing the front seat (never take the front seat if the back is not full) with the driver and another man-- and I had the middle. So ok, it's a tight squeeze but not too uncomfortable... until the driver goes to shift and guess where the stick-shift needed to go?! I ended up riding all the way back to Oaxaca city with my left knee bent and held up pressed against the edge of the console... and today of course was a day that I decided to wear a skirt! Every time he shifted I had to brace my right foot and arm on the roof to lift my left thigh higher... building quads of steel! And of course this was the one day when no one got off at any small towns, but rode all the way into Oaxaca. Next time I'll wait for the bus :)

Here's what it looked like when I left my house at 7am to go with the equipo de salud (I left an hour and a half for transport, and waited for half an hour.


No comments: