I'm falling into the rhythm of Sunday morning being a quiet time (except for those people who go to mass and all..... and I actually did last Sunday-- more on that later), so nice to sleep late for the first time in days, open the NYTimes (virtually) and then head to my local market. The streets are totally deserted on Sundays (and really illustrates that the crowded parking in my neighborhood is a factor of people coming into the central part of the city) but the market is bustling. This was the first time that I went to this particular market (mostly fruit and veggies but also meat and some comedors-- little food stands) by myself and I was totally fine getting fresh peas and green beans and cucs etc. although I had some miscommunication with one vender that I wanted guayabas (unfortunately no one had super little ones) not calabacitas. Then I went to a veg seller I'd gotten good stuff from before, although his wife (?) was the one there the last time I went, and we were doing fine until I forgot the word for green beans (ejotes) and he stopped and said "wait, I thought that you were Mexican, where are you from" and I said no, I'm American and he was like "oh, but you have Mexican origins no?" and I was like nope "puro European-American" and he was like "huh, but you're beautiful" which was sweet and non-sketchy. Yay tans (yes, I do wear sunscreen) and slightly greasy unwashed hair that looks super dark. And gives me more evidence that Mexicans (maybe I'll have to expand it beyond Zapotecs) are the lost tribe (of Jews, if that reference totally passed you by).
This was a really full week with lots of progress made on the fieldwork front, so more later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment