Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day means something here

So I wandered down to the Zocalo around noon and it was full full full full of people. In the gazebo a mike was set up and a woman was giving a speech about political prisoners surrounded by painted stencils of notable prisoners' faces-- she kept referencing Chicago and Haymarket. Most people didn't seem to be listening, neither their bodies nor attention oriented towards her... instead they looked bored. The paletas and jicaletas (sort of jicama popsticks which are dipped in powered flavorings) vendors were out in full force as the sun was strong today. All around the edges of the Zocalo and into the Alameda there were tight pockets of mostly sex seggregated groups talking and making speechs. Most businesses are closed today... and a man I talked to at the tourism office (there for another errand) told me that they will be closed monday for the 5th as well (I guess some people do celebrate here).

No comments: